Are you a book worm? If so, and even if not, I have some life changing books for you to add to your 2019 reading list.
I have been a personal development junkie for a long time. It’s because of Oprah.
She introduced me to the genre, which led me to Tony Robbins’ Unlimited Power and Awaken the Giant Within and Brian Tracy’s Goals!. Those two books helped me turn my life around in a major way. I was partying hard 24/7 and left college and was going exactly nowhere at rocket speed. After those two books put some some things in perspective for me, I got my shit together big time. I haven’t stopped reading personal development and inspiration books since.
So, it was my goal to read 2 books a month this year, since I read 52 books for 2016 and 2017. I ended up reading a few more than that, but I didn’t keep a good log this year. For 2019 I’m going to go back to the one book a week plan, but this time I am going to log all the life changing books I devour so I can share it with you.
Here are 4 majorly life changing books for you to read this coming year:
First of all, Mrs. Michelle “Boots” Obama broke like 5011 records with her book. I haven’t even finished it, but it has made me want to do more with myself as a human, a woman, a scholar, and a parent, …..and also dump John and marry Barack….but…that’s neither here nor there. ::avoids eye contact::
Judgment Detox by Gabrielle Bernstein (and The Universe Has Your Back if you haven’t already)
I’m not yet done with Judgment Detox but I’ll tell you this much. Gabby Bernstein has a way of making the esoteric plain. Anyone who isn’t woowoo but wants to just be/do/feel/live better will appreciate the practical nature of this book (and her others). We all judge. We judge each other and we judge ourselves (usually harshly) and this book is a great help with recognizing it, and changing it.
If you like a sciencey approach to personal development, you’ll love this book. If you don’t like science at large, psychology, physics, neuroscience…then just skip down to the next one. Where Gabby takes a practical layman’s approach to the woo, Dr. Joe takes a scientific approach. It all takes you to the same place though, self growth on many levels.
Money mindset like a mofo! Worthy is a book all women need to listen to. You will find some part of the stories to relate to, no matter what your primary money story is. This book is a great guide to helping you recognize and change your yucky money beliefs and patterns, and create new healthy ones.
And a few all-time favorite books of mine:
- You Are a Badass – Just a great reminder (cuz we tend to forget, don’t we?!)
- You Are a Badass at Making Money – again, more reminders of your financial badassery
- Get Rich, Lucky Bitch – money mindset stuff with a light yet real tone (Spoiler: she cusses)
- The Miracle Morning – great to help you get your shit together in the a.m. w/ an easy plan to follow
- The Power of Now – woowoo a.f. and helps you be here now and just do/be better
- The 12-Week Year – great for productivity (I’m going to do another round starting Dec 31)
- Mastering Your Mean Girl – self talk, self care and mindset stuff (better after you make it thru her story tho)
- Think and Grow Rich – omfg just read it!
- The 5 Second Rule – so simple, so good. it works if you work it.
- The Magic of Thinking Big – a good read and reminder to thing bigger and better in biz and life
- Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself – if you like sciencey stuff, you’ll love this mind changer
- Big Magic – i never finished it, but the parts I jumped around and read, I loved
- The Millions Within – the usual money mindset stuff, dudesy
- Be Obsessed or Be Average – if you get the audiobook, this man will yell at you for 6 hours
- The Map – law of attraction, gentle, real, works to make dreams come true frfr
- The Four Agreements – a must read. Just read it. Then, live by it.
Okay so maybe that’s a lil more than a few, but those books really spoke to me over the years and I know they’ll speak to you too. I could’ve added 10-20 more, honestly. I love these books. They were my intro to psychology, mysticism, quantum physics, spirituality, manifestation, etc. Truly life changing subjects…if you let them be.
I feel like more and more people are opening up to reading personal development, self help, self growth, motivational and inspirational books now and I’m so excited about that. It used to have a negative reputation. (Like heaven forbid you realize you’re not perfect and read something to help you improve.) Now, folks are realizing that there are resources to help and they need not be ashamed about reaching out for that help so YAY