So here goes. Part 2.
In January I posted THIS great idea.
And I stuck to it, until THIS happened.
Now it’s June, and I’m going to abstain from shopping until November 1.
This includes: clothing, books, shoes, accessories, hair products (gulp), jewelry and toys (ie: house stuff).
Biggest of all — And I honestly don’t know if I can even do it — I’m adding eating out to the ban. I’m allowing myself only one date night dinner out with John, and one dinner out w/ friends each month. (starting July cuz I already have 6 dinners set up for this month)
This is a massive undertaking for me. Last time it was just a clothes ban.
There are a few exceptions though:
1. My OPKs – I’m buying bulk online super cheap this week
2. I Love My Nonna, I love my Grumpa, and I love my Uncle items – for whenever I announce pregnancy to my immediate family
3. A skinnny black belt – Did I tell you that I sat down and my belt Popped!? it POPPED yall. Who pops a leather belt? ::raises hand:: Me, apparently.
4. Textbooks – gotta do it for school (and how bout they cost $500 effin dollars for 3 classes?! highway robbery)
5. Leave-in and Deep Conditioner – Now, I run out of these products the fastest, BUT I will not buy a new one until I finish my last one. I’m going to use up all I have first.
That’s the plan, and here’s the why:
1. To save money for tuition and baby H (biggest and best reason)
2. To use up and continually re-use what I already have
3. To help with the clutter clear out process. No adding more stuff to the mix.
4. Cuz it feels good and not shopping will give me more time
5. Because it truly is a challenge and I like a challenge
So, who’s with me?! Who will cut shopping or other needless spending out of their lives? What will you ban yourself from? What’s your plan and why are you doing it? Are you saving for something in particular or just trying to change a habit?
Mrs. K says
I've been backing off the useless spending for a few months now and it feels good. I feel a little more responsible. Good luck to you 🙂
i really would like to join this but i can't 🙁 … because i will fail in the first week of trying. i know myself. i am not horrible with spending, i am actually really good with not spending an awful lot but as soon as i restrict myself i go all types of crazy!!
I'm definitely not gonna join in….I already don't spend money on myself as it is….hubby does that for me. But good luck!!!! I know how expensive those school books can be….one book for one of my classes was $250!!! For 1 damn class!!!!
Man that's a big ban! The price for textbooks is ridiculous! I haven't got mine yet, hopefully it's not too expensive. some of those prices are outrageous!
Keep us posted!
Great post Dani – my mother would be proud of you. And I remember those school books were no joke :o( I'm going to need to come up with such a plan too :o)
Dani @ OK, Dani says
@ Mrs. K – Good on you! and thanks.
@Faith – have a lil FAITH in yourself 🙂 You can try…try a LOW spend instead of NO spend challenge.
@ Nini – Yikes! My most expensive was $158. It KILLED me to pay for it.
@Dya – You're so right, it's bonkers these prices. Join the ban!
Laquita – lol, my mother would be like…hey look at these shoes, too bad you can buy them because of your silly little ban. LOL Come up w/ a plan you can do it!!