I’ve gotten some requests for low carbing info so I’m going to share just what we do.
There are MANY low carb way of eating options, but this is just how it goes down in the OKDani household.
First thing I’d suggest is to remember that this isn’t a “diet” in the trendy sense of the word, or something temporary. It’s a diet in the true sense of the word, as in, it’s a way of eating…permanently.
I will not bore you with the findings on sugar, but suffice it to say, Satan has taken shape on the earth…and his name is sugar. In all it’s forms.
John did atkins back in 2010. He lost about 50lbs in a few months and has kept it off. He was maintaining at a low carb level, but he now cycles with a carb day each week, and treats every now and then during the week. Since he started exercising again he dropped another 10 or so and is starting to trim down more it seems.
I don’t carb cycle. I know myself. I would binge daily if I tried to either a) keep at too low a level of carbs or b) allow myself different amounts each day.
I’m not strict. I try to stay within a range that allows me to eat fruit, and every now and then I’ll have a small bowl of cereal, I eat my ice cream (no sugar added) and sometimes bread w/ oil and vinegar because those are the sugary things I really love. Each day I’m between 20-100g of carbs. I’m a grazer by nature so having lots of random low carb items around for me to pick on during the day works for me.
Why I love low carb living:
- It’s easy
- It is helping my tummy pooch go down without exercise
- John and I are now on the same page, foodwise
- John is way less gassy, and I “sit on a duck” less often
- Lots and lots of CHEEEEESE!
Why I hate low carb living:
- I have to cook. Often.
- I have to check labels sometimes (until it’s ingrained in my memory)
- quiche, fritatas, omelets, salads, eggs w/ sauteed veggies, smoothies/green drinks
- any meat and veggies, salads, tuna lettuce wraps, burgers w/ lettuce “buns”, lots of chicken, fish and shrimp dishes, chili, soups, stews
- crudites, fruit, green drinks, cold cut/cheese rollups, small salad, grilled veggies, boiled eggs, pollyo string cheese, peanut butter n raisins on celery,
Recipes I get from emeals.com which is just awesome. And I’ll simply google low carb ___ dishes to find some. I also found a lot of ideas and recipes at: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/