I think I’m going to be a henna head. After henndigo-ing, my hair felt softer and happily, my curls didn’t loosen like some folks have. I don’t know how to explain the soft/strong feeling my hair has now, but I love it!
What I’ll do differently next time:
– newspaper all over the bathroom/bathtub, and I’ll apply the henna while in the bathtub
– sift the henna out first so no wildlife ends up in my hair
– do two separate processes, one long henna treatment, one indigo treatment (just to see how it is)
– leave the henndigo in longer than an hour
– wear a black wifebeater instead of white (duh)
I must say, I’m loving my short hair. Thank you all for the super sweet comments about the cut. I’m glad I fooled some of you!!
Shorter hair is awesome because:
– Washing is so easy and fast
– I use WAY less product
– Air drying time is cut almost in half!
– My curls look curlier and springier instead of wavy
– It’s cooler and lighter in this summer heat
– Detangling is a breeze
– Shorter styling time is great in the morning
The styling thing is a biggie for me. Shorter time in the morning, but also, because I know it’s less hair to work with, I’m feeling like doing more things, bantu knot sets, twistouts w/ smaller twists, trying my hand at roller sets (never done these before)…etc.
To answer some questions you asked in the comments and via email:
1. Yes, I am going to maintain it shorter for the next 6 months, and then let it grow back out next year. I’m going to go get it trimmed probably every 6 weeks just to keep it this length.
2. The stylist was Mike at Studio Mohair on E13th st in Manhattan. LOVE him.
3. I don’t know how many inches were taken off or how many are left…sorry.
As for my daily regimen:
I wear a lot of wash n gos in the summer, so I’ll co-wash in the morning and moisturize, apply a leave-in, finger style into place and go. Later in the day when it’s mostly dry, I’ll shake my head or squeeze it just to get rid of any crunchy bits that may have appeared. If I shower in the evening as well or after a workout, I’ll just leave my hair alone. On weekends I will DC and put into a couple braids or a bun.
Often I’ll wear a wash n go on freshly washed hair, then day 2 of the wash n go I’ll just pull it back, so I’m only cowashing every other day.
Products I’m using these days:
Well, I’m trying to use up all the crap I have…so I’m using whatever conditioner I find in my product bins and in the bathroom cupboards.
For conditioners: I’ve got some V05s, some Hello Hydration, some Garnier Fructis, some John Frieda stuff, some Fekkai….
When I am doing a braidout or twistout I’ll use whatever conditioner, but when I’m doing a wash n go (and I’m going somewhere besides work) I’ll use my boo Giovanni. I cannot wait to be done w/ all my bloody conditioners so I can buy more Giovanni!!
For a leave in, I use Sally’s Mixed Silk leave in conditioner, or Carols Daughter Hair Milk, or when I want to be fluffy, CURLS leave-in (i forget the real name).
For a deep conditioner I’m using up what I’ve got…. Elasta QP Soy Oyl, a few cholesterol types, a few organic root stimulator types, I think there’s a lekair in there, ummm some others from sally’s Silk elements line…I really forget…sorry.
For a moisturizer, I’m almost finished using up my hollywood beauty olive oil creme. I used to love this stuff, but it’s not the same anymore. I also use my beloved cantu, but I want to experiment with more. I have Sally’s Silk Elements moisturizer, no complaints yet. I’m going to have to purchase a new moisturizer very soon. Any suggestions?
That’s all I’ve got.
Oh! I took some pics monday (in the bathroom at work haha) of my wash n go. They’re phone pics, sorry:
Did you notice that one straight heat damaged bit 🙁 It kills me!! I wonder how weird it would look If I just chopped it off…
Well, until tomorrow girls…Hope you’re having a great week.
Any moisturizers/deep conditioners/conditioners (w/o “cones”)/organic shampoos/leave-in conditioner recommendations for me?