This is going to be a quickie post, I’m at my parents house
writing essays for helping my brother with his college application process. He procrastinated big time and is feeling the crunch. I spent the weekend here, intending on relaxing, but was busy and productive instead. I still got my workouts in though. My dad actually joined me in doing two Insanity DVDs on Saturday. Can I just tell you that he worked out in the outfit he was heading out of the house in: Jeans, Sweater, Construction Boots, Gun (tucked into his waistband). He’s nuts!
Speaking of nuts, I can’t believe that today is my Mom and Dad‘s 30th wedding anniversary. I love that they’re together and generally happy, during this time of divorces left and right, and millisecond-long marriages. They’ve modeled a quality relationship for me all my life, and I didn’t realize or value it until my mid twenties. From their successful 30 year long marriage I’ve learned to:
- respect each other above all else
- fight respectfully, quietly, and in private
- laugh together often
- laugh at each other too, in the best of ways
- be best friends
- stand together against whatever
- give space and allow crowding
- compromise, compromise, compromise
- learn how the other communicates and speak that language
- let your spouse be crazy in their own way
- accept them and love them unconditionally
Thanks for showing us how it’s done Mom & Dad!
I hope John and I have a long and happy marriage and can model what a great relationship looks like to our children.
I gotta get back to work on these college apps and research with my bro. Talk to you tomorrow girls!