Welp, I know I don’t usually put this kinda stuff on the blog, IMO this isn’t the type of blog for it, but this case has me in my feelings a bit. Well, not the case itself but the implications of the verdict. I feel like
- ugh yet another example reinforcing that the lives of blacks, especially black boys in this country have zero value (except to be purchasers and fill jail cells…but that would be a different rant)
- there are fiftyeleven “zimmermans” out there right now loading up their guns looking for a black boy to stand their ground against just because they can. And…they can.
I’ll keep this brief. Everybody loves a bulleted list!
Just some quick thoughts:
- i am surprised at myself for being surprised when I heard the verdict
- yes, it IS a racial issue, are you playing dumb or are you really dumb in thinking that it’s not? (I’d prefer the latter because at least you can be informed)
- black on black crime has no bearing in any conversation regarding this case it is actually quite silly and disrespectful to even bring it up
- white privilege exists, if you don’t know about it, please learn about it, if you don’t believe it exists you’re stupid. period.
- most people will continue to take hoodie pics and black out their FB image instead of taking real action and that’s disappointing
- there is no such thing as “post racial” america, please stop using this term as if it actually means anything
- when the “race card” is “played”, it’s usually for a good reason and it’s disrespectful to down play that
- there are hard conversations that parents of black boys have to have with their sons that white parents never will, it’s unfair but it’s our reality (mamademics has a take on this)
- if I see one more “i dont get why people are so mad” post/tweet I am going to vomit
- if I see one more “God will handle him later” post/tweet I am going to vomit (Why didn’t he “handle him” now?)
- if I see one more allusion to riots, “street justice” or anything similar I am going to vomit… but if there are riots in the area I’mma get me a new tablet. 😉
- i give it about 3 days before all Trayvonning ends and people’s attention gets pulled to the next bright n shiny thing
- I think this verdict has an absolutely positive impact: real conversations are being had today about race mainly and about justice and equality in america and I truly hope some difference in mindsets and behavior will occur as a result of those conversations