How’d you choose your OB/GYN and the hospital for your baby’s birth?
How’d you decide between an OB or a doula/midwife?
I’ve been looking into (read: calling and harassing receptionists at) hospitals in my area and I think I have found the right place for us. I am making an appointment this week.
I’m not even sure what’s important with choosing a hospital.
So far my concerns were:
– Open minded, flexible, allows for control freak weirdos like me to give their desired birth plan, not a c-section-aholic, respectful of wishes re: drugs, long laboring etc…
– A woman, preferably a brown woman.
– Open to working w/ a midwife/doula
– Answers my questions, has nice nurses who answer my questions, and isn’t dismissive (like my current gyno)
– John allowed to stay w/ me full time no matter what, even if I have to have an emergency c section
– Being allowed to walk around or shower or sit on a ball or try any position besides on my back during labor
– Allowing me to go as long as I can w/o drugs (watch me last 4 minutes lol)
– Anesthesia dude/dudette always on premises and the “walking” epidural (spinal drug, not IV) offered so I can use my legs and be a better participant when push time comes.
– Intermittent fetal monitoring, vs 100% of the time.
– First rate NICU just in case
– Birthing Center vs Sterile hospital environment (tho John the doc to be wants the sterile hospital environment)
– Private room (if we can afford it) and baby staying with me full time (unless i am losing my mind and delirious)
So, the main concerns for me was comfort and freedom. Comfort w/ my doctor, comfort and freedom in the facility, and comfort/freedom during the birthing process no matter which way it goes.
I can’t wait to take the tour and see how the place feels.
Actually….I can’t wait to get pregnant so all of my research and reading can finally be relevant! 🙂