In two weeks I head to Chicago for #BlogHer13. I’ve been so excited about this blogging conference since….I guess since the day after BlogHer12! Attending BlogHer12 with all it’s ups and downs was really a life changing weekend for me. I chose to attend on a whim and am so grateful that I did. I was SO inspired and learned tons. Did I implement everything I learned? Nope. And that’s OK. I’ve still improved a lot. What I loved was that the inspiration wasn’t just blog-related. I got life-related, woman-related, entrepreneur-related inspiration as well. I knew after that weekend, that I’d be going year after year. I just knew it.
In 2012, I was an emotional, lactating mess. This year, I’ll be an emotional fully weaned mess! And I won’t have a baby strapped to the front of me either….
1. I’m officially going baby free!! It’ll be a working vacation. I’ll get to sleep and wake up when I want to. Use the bathroom without a buddy. Eat meals without being stalked and begged. No diapers, no full-time responsibility for keeping another human happy and healthy. I’ll be FREE….for 3.5 days. Let’s see how I handle my first time away from my little guy. I’ll either be swinging from the chandelier with a bottle of moscato or in a heap on my hotel room floor sobbing and trying to book flights home early.
2. I’m not a newbie! After attending BlogHer12, I am used to the size and set up of the conference this year. I’m prepared on how to handle the crowds, the sessions, what to pack, etc. I’m way more prepared than last year. I’m ready! Ready for the expo, ready to talk to a million people, ready to find loads of new blogs to
stalk read, ready to hear amazing keynotes and presentations. Ready to put aside any nitpicking and just enjoy every minute and soak up all the goodness that is a BlogHer conference.
3. I’m going to sound lazy…but…My hotel is connected to the conference site. I honestly didn’t want to have to schlep bags of swag, or … bags of anything, really, around all day before taking a shuttle back to my hotel. So I switched! It’s nice that my hotel is connected to the site so I can easily drop my bags….and drop into bed for a nap perhaps…without worrying about shuttle buses or spending on a cab if I were impatient. Bonus is it’s less expensive too…and I’m a reward member.
4. I’ve got a new phone to take with me! So I’ll actually be able to tweet like the rest of the tweeting maniacs there, and take great photos without my huge dslr, or my little point and shoot that I forget everywhere. I’ll be able to do some live vlogging, instagramming, and just be “social” which is super important at these events. God bless my new smartphone.
5. I’m making tons of connections before heading to Chicago. Last year I didn’t do so much of this, and it didn’t exactly hurt me, to any noticeable degree, but didn’t help me at all either. I just made friends on site, and winged it at the Expo. This year I’m connecting with brands early, and have contacts with brands I met last year that I’ve been in contact with throughout the year. And I’m meeting amazing women on all the BlogHer FB groups.
6. I’m a better blogger. (at least…I think I am! LOL) I’m more focused now and have a vision for my blog and how it fits into my larger career plans. Because of this viewpoint I’ll be better able to rep myself when speaking with brands, pr folks, and other bloggers. Even thought I was working with some brands last year, my blog still felt like a hobby. This year my mindset has changed and my blog is going to change to reflect that.
7. My business cards don’t suck. Last year I really wasn’t happy with my cards. I still handed them out, but I think subconsciously I didn’t lead with my card because I disliked them. This year, they don’t suck as bad so I’ll be happy to hand them over liberally.
8. I’m doing the 5K Fun Run. Running (ok…well..jogging…well..mostly walking with a lil jogging mixed in..) a 5k has been on my “gotta do one day” list for too long! I’m glad I’m going to be able to cross it off the list soon, and glad they give us breakfast after cuz I am going to be spent. It’s at 6 effin 30 in the morning! *shudder*
9. I get to partay! I’m attending Lipstick & High Heels and the Hasbro party like last year. Both were absolutely wonderful. I’m also heading to a party for a great cause thrown by the Baby Ladies, and may attend an event for Escalate. I’m super excited to attend a screening of my tall boo Vince Vaughn’s movie the Delivery Man and a cocktail party with the folks from Disney afterward.
10. Oh yeah, there’s also the conference itself! 🙂 It’s going to be awesome. I feel like I need to clone myself so I can go to all the sessions I want to attend. The agenda looks jam packed with useful stuff. I keep planning and re-planning my day. But no matter which I attend, it’s going to be immensely educational/valuable.
Are you heading to BlogHer in Chicago this year?!
Visit OKDani’s Awesome Sponsors, and tell em I sent ya!